![]() |
| The price for being unpainted...missile death |
Basically I took a round toothpick and used a wood rasp to file a flat part on one side, a few millimeters in length and maybe 10mm from one end. I then cut just past the flat portion, forming the main missile body.
Next I poked a hole in the flat end of the missile body using a needle, then used my hobby knife to excavate the hole a little. I cut the other tip off the same toothpick, dipped it in CA glue and jammed it in the hole on the back of the missile body, forming the exhaust nozzle.
I cut a small rhombus out of scrap polystyrene to form the fins and their associated wing box (I know there's no need for fins in space; call them radiators or antennae or something...). I mounted this with CA glue directly on top of the flight stand which was already attached to the base (a washer). I then added a dab of CA glue on top of the fins and pushed the missile body down on it, the flat portion resting neatly on the platform made by the fins. Some basic coats of paint finished it up. I think I'll add some red markings on the fins to jazz them up, but overall I'm very happy.
Missiles are fire-and-forget in my new rules and the custom base shown in the picture above facilitates that. The speed track shows the current speed, which is marked off after the missile moves, allowing players to keep track of fuel as well. After marking off the "6", the missile runs out of fuel and is eliminated. The big empty space after the speed track is where the target ship's name is written, eliminating the need for tracking on any paper "ships system display" or similar sheets. Finally, there's a space for the Lock-On quality of the missile's guidance when launched. The player must fly the missile to the target and the Lock-On quality influences certain dice rolls required for the seeking weapon to successfully maneuver. Clear plastic covers the missile stand base, allowing me to write all this information down with a permanent marker during play, cleaning it later with alcohol for future use.

I like your method of tracking fuel and targeting for the missile. The less recordkeeping, the better!
ReplyDeleteThanks DS! I have a love-hate relationship with ships systems displays in space games. Less record keeping does make for a much more enjoyable gaming experience. I grew up playing Star Fleet Battles however, so it almost feels like a travesty to not have a record sheet :)
DeleteHow did you make the base? Or did you buy them?
ReplyDeleteThe bases are custom, nearly a tutorial in themselves. I coated a 1" diameter washer (with a 1/8" hole) with black spray paint. After it dried I placed a piece of tape over the hole on the bottom, then filled the hole with plumber's epoxy putty. Work fast; it sets in 3 minutes! Before the putty set I made a little indention with a piece of thick spaghetti. Before attaching the flight stand I printed out the base's design onto a blank address label. The design was something I made using Microsoft Powerpoint. I covered the printed design with a piece of clear packing tape, then used a hole-punch to make an opening for the stand. The label was then applied to the washer and finally the flight stand added. The flight stand is a hollow plastic tube, filled with spaghetti. I discovered some time ago that Equate brand cotton swabs have plastic and not paper stems. Moreover, the plastic stems are hollow and a piece of Barilla brand Thick Spaghetti fits very very snuggly inside. The plastic is extremely easy to cut yet very strong with the pasta core. I just make the spaghetti a few millimeters longer on one end and it sits perfectly in the little indention in the base, precluding one from having to hold the flight stand while the CA glue cures.
ReplyDelete