I experimented with using acrylic white gesso as a primer and was disappointed. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the gesso to dry, but when I went to apply the initial coat of paint the gesso primer flaked off in some areas. I've never had a problem with spray primer sticking to resin, so I think I'll stick with that despite the nasty fumes.
I'm still not complete, but I wanted to get some pictures up before the good light is gone for the day. The yellow in the nozzles of the squatty ship just doesn't work for me; I'll try changing it to a white-hot glow. Also the basic color-schemes work for the ships, but they need some pep. I'll probably use some decals.
The bases are 1" metal washers covered with a design I created on Powerpoint and printed on address labels. The design has a place to write the ships name, six "pies" to show firing arcs, and six arrows to facilitate the movement rules for my solo game Able Spaceman. The decal on the base is covered with plastic so that I can use grease pencils and alcohol pens to make turn-by-turn notes.