03 December 2012

Dead CCG Solitaire: The Galactic Empires Five Booster Challenge

I knocked out a quick little solitaire rules variant for the old Galactic Empires collectable card game; the three-page rules sheet resides on my Downloads page.

The basic premise is that the solo player starts with one ship and a playing area of 64 cards, representing different coordinates in the sector being explored.  Most of the cards start face-down, with the object of the game being to move one's ship around exploring, flipping up these cards in the process.  Some may end up being terrain, which will give more resources to power additional ships, which are also hidden face-down.  Of course, many of the face-down cards represent the dangers of space, like Hazard and Monster cards.  And even worse, ships from other empires randomly roam the playing area, and may destroy the solo player's valuable terrain, his ships or his Sector HQ, resulting in a player loss.

I have yet to play test this, but already have a few ideas to make it smoother by using additional boosters.

If you have a few old GE boosters lying around (boxes are plentiful on eBay), give it a try.

5 comments:

  1. Even though I know I won't be playing this any time soon, I love reading about it. I've downloaded the rules for future reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem; thanks for looking!

      I play tested this variant for the first time today and found some improvements. For example, I opened a number of boosters and chose a Mechad Heavy Cruiser as my starting ship because there was also a Mechad Sector HQ in the boosters. The problem was there were no other Mechad ships in all the boosters and thus no motivation to find and defend terrain. I recommend that the empire with the most ships present in the boosters be the one you choose for your empire (ensuring you don't have too much of an advantage however).

      Delete
  2. I just nominated you for a Liebster award! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks! Your site's always my first stop for solo gaming ideas.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! You earned the award!

    ReplyDelete