17 May 2012

Atomic Tank Platoon: Vehicle Construction Rules

I've been tweeking my micro-armor game Atomic Tank Platoon.  I've simplified the action resolution rules, using both bonus and penalty dice to define a tank's mobility and its weapons' capabilities.  More importantly the rules have expanded onto a second page featuring vehicle construction rules. 

The vehicle design rules make extensive use of dice rolling.  While the player still has plenty of decision making during the design process, the dice add quite a bit of randomness.  I realize that some people may not like this, but I see a number of advantages.  First, as a solo player I'm always interested in adding "unknowns" to my gaming experience.  Second, the dice rolling allows the rapid creation of new designs without having to pour over charts or use computer spreadsheets.  The randomization of the dice prevents (as long as the player doesn't fudge any rolls) the design system from being "broken" to create super-vehicles.  Finally, I think the dice rolling nicely simulates either those flashes of genius and innovation in vehicle design, or more commonly, those unexpected flaws that appear during testing, resulting in size creep and cost overruns.  And besides, like with rolling up a character in your favorite role playing game, it's just fun to see what the dice give you; you never know what you're going to get.

The second page also features a consolidated example of vehicle design and an associated vehicle readout for the sample tank.  The readout is in the shape of a 120 degree arc, which can be used for measuring turns and firing arcs in addition to its function as quick reference of the vehicle's capabilities.

Finally, hello to Andy, whose new blog features some incredible looking 15mm figures and terrain.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment