15 May 2012

6mm/15mm Sci-Fi Squinch Dome Finished

I'm eager to continue playtesting my sci-fi tank game, especially with proper terrain and miniatures.  To that end I've been back to scratchbuilding and tonight I finally finished the squinch dome I started some time ago.

I'm pleased with the structure itself, especially the high-tech walls, but not my paint job.  Looking on the finished product, I should have went with a bright yellow for the dome and squinches, not green.  As you can see from the third picture, I was going for a dazzle camouflage pattern on the arches, but with the white and black it ended up looking like a Holstein cow.  So I abandoned that attempt and instead switched to painting panel lines, which I think turned out surprisingly effective.  Still, I think next time I will carve the panel lines in the arches.

The building may look silly on my table-top with its garish color scheme, but I learned a lot of great techniques that I can use to mass produce similar buildings.  That'll give me plenty of practice at painting.

GZG 15mm Heavy Vac-suited trooper for scale

A small shelter at 15mm...

... or a university library at 6mm

No comments:

Post a Comment