27 May 2012

6mm Sci-Fi City Block WIP

I'm starting to drill down to a workable set of 6mm science fiction rules, and eventually I'll need some terrain.  I'm going with my old standbys, Durham's Rock-Hard Water Putty and Sculpey, in order to construct multiple futuristic buildings using the same technique I used for my 10mm primitive houses.

Negative image of wall section

I produced one wall section (pictured below) and started a second, the opposite wall, which is curing now.  I plan to mold both of these two walls; right now I'm also waiting for the first layer of silicone to cure over the first wall section.  My thought process is that with molds I can replicate two walls of the same dimensions en mass.  Then I can vary the distance between these two walls on each building, avoiding a block of absolutely identical structures.  Also, I've only scribed about 2/3 the panel lines I wanted to in the wall section before I molded it.  That way whenever I pour new sections, I can scribe the panel lines differently for each, giving each wall its own character.  Each building will have a unique roof section as well, created with the same technique.



So far the method is not the cheapest in terms of materials and time.  I've been at it for a few hours and will end up using about half a tube of silicone for each wall section.  Still, once the molds cure I can crank out buildings a little faster.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment