30 April 2012

Atomic Armor! Solo Tank Game

I just returned from a business trip that's kept me away from the gaming table/model workshop for weeks.  I couldn't wait to get back so I could continue playtesting my new 15mm solo skirmish rules: Our Space Age Army.  While I was away however I was wracking my brain, wondering if I could somehow modify my rules for a sword-and-sorcery skirmish game.  Well, I never cracked that nut, but instead unexpectedly came up with a set of rules for tank warfare.  Don't you hate when that happens?

My newest game rests on the downloads page and is called Our Space Age Army: Atomic Armor.  It's not strictly a tank game; the rules should model most combined arms nicely.  I designed it around a tank company, consisting of three to five platoons of three to five fighting vehicles each.  I'll probably base two tanks together and make the tank section the basic game unit.

The game essentially follows the same philosophy as my skirmish game: that is using tokens to represent initiative gained by a unit.  What makes this game different is there are four, not three, types of Initiative tokens.  The player rolls randomly for 1 to 6 tokens, but the result is heavily skewed to the low end (1 or 2 tokens per unit).  The more Command and Control tokens a unit has however the more the random roll skews towards the higher end.  And a unit may use other units' C&C tokens as well.  This forces the player to decide not only how much energy the tank crew invests in receiving orders, but also how to group his forces.

I've yet to playtest this game, but will make some C&C tokens and crude tanks tomorrow and give it a go.  The posted rules fit on one page and while complete enough to play are totally devoid of any fluff.  The rules also imply a lot of things without spelling them out, such as the fact their are three different sizes for units and that structures can be attacked.  After I playtest these I'll post some more rules I'm thinking about, such as how leaders can transfer C&C tokens and how structures get demolished.

1 comment:

  1. Pahoota, I just painted the ships you gifted me.

    Check them out on my latest entry:

    http://myevergrowingfleets.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/hive-empire-my-second-bug-fleet.html

    ReplyDelete