I posted my latest solo effort, a post-WWII to far future infantry skirmish game called Our Space Age Army, to the downloads page this weekend. I've been having a blast playtesting and am 90% pleased with the rules, but there was just one thing nagging me.
The Defense token mechanic is supposed to represent the troopers either getting their heads down and trying to avoid getting shot, or else bravely risking fire to dash around the battlefield or return fire themselves. The Defense token rules work fine keeping units from getting hit, but I feel they should somehow alter movement as well. They of course do, since the more Defense tokens a unit has the less it can have of the other two actions. Unfortunately since only one Move token is required to attempt a move, this leads to the odd situation where a unit with 5 Defense tokens manages to roll well and move as far as another unit with no Defense tokens. This makes little sense because I imagine a unit with high Defense tokens would be low-crawling.
In order to address this I'm going to try a slightly modified movement mechanic tonight. First, start with a base move increment of 8cm. Subtract 1cm for every Defense action token the moving unit possesses. Subtract another 1cm if the terrain is Difficult; subtract 2cm if it's Very Difficult. That yields a base move increment of 1cm to 8cm, depending on Defense (it's hard to sprint when you're hunkering down) and terrain. Then roll the Movement Multiplier as before, which gives a number from 1 to 6 to multiply by the base increment. The multiplier shows the effect of the load carried by the soldier, especially that due to armor. I will probably adjust the Movement Multiplier chart a little so there aren't figures routinely moving 30cm+. It still of course costs one Move token for a unit to even make an attempt.
Off to make resin action tokens, terrain, and playtest the new movement rules!
Edit- After only a few activations I realized this new movement method works and, to me, just makes more sense. I've altered the base document on the download page to reflect the new mechanics.
No comments:
Post a Comment