14 November 2011

Ship's System Readout and Vector Indicator

I'm still trying to get the playtest of my newest ruleset started, but I got another new idea which derailed me.  Actually, this is directly related to the new rules, but I'm excited enough about it to share now.

I was placing the vector discs I mentioned last post on the table, next to their respective miniatures just as my play test was about to start.  I realized suddenly that the discs were big enough to act as a ship's system readout (SSD in some games, SDS in others).  My new rules are very very simple and generic, so one goal was to eliminate paper sheets all together.  I'll be using energy allocation tokens (pennies) as well as these vector discs so I didn't want to clutter up the table with all sorts of other markers.  So I made up actual paper sheets for each ship, but in a round shape and only 48mm in diameter.  The Ship Readout's size and shape allows it to be taped to the back of the vector disc.  An example Ship Readout is below.  You'll note there's no ship name... this will be painted on the edge of the disc.
Has everything needed for play
So what do all those strange letters mean?  It's an energy allocation scheme; each ship has five of them.  Damage is tracked by loss of these schemes.  I'll explain it all after I verify what mechanics work and which ones fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment