So I finished my homebrew space miniatures game a few weeks ago and after all that work I think I'm not going to play it any longer. My original goal was simplicity and even though War In Space is very simple, I've come up with an even easier game. The newest one still needs playtesting but is truly a "beer-and-pretzels" game; if it got any more generic it would be called Backgammon.
The new game utilizes six sided dice only. I love polyhedral dice, I really do, but during playtesting of War In Space one of the main annoyances was having to ensure I grabbed the proper types of dice for a ship during energy allocation. The fact that those die types changed due to damage made it even easier to make mistakes and roll the wrong dice. So last night I came up with this little d6 only game, and as soon as I finish typing this I'll go and playtest.
OK, on with the main point... I never finished painting the hex overlay on my vinyl home made space mat. First I got distracted with some 10mm Ancients gaming, then of course school and work crushed any remaining opportunity or motivation. Today however I came up with a new idea for hexless vector movement, which figures since I have a space mat with 40% of its surface covered with hexes.
The answer was in front of me all the time. In the post regarding the conversion of my space mat, I described making little discs out of putty in order to help me make the hex pattern. These discs are the answer I believe. By placing one of these discs flush against the base of a spaceship miniature, a player can show the direction of ship's vector. This requires marks on a round base but on a hex base the player can just push the disc flush with one of the hex sides. For the magnitude of the vector, the player simply adds more discs in the appropriate direction, i.e. along a line extending from the flight stand rod through the center of that first disc. I realize this sounds esoteric: the picture below illustrates:
| Hexless (and ruler-less) vector movement |
As the above pictures show, the little putty discs can be decorated with acrylic paint in order to make them unobtrusive on the table.
Off to playtest, but here's an example of a ship readout from my new game... as you can see, very simple.
![]() |
| Beer-and-pretzels! Still undecided on the firing arcs |

Great ideas. I'm sure there's a way to use CD bases as an entire terrain and measurement system. Circles are underrated!
ReplyDeleteThat's a very innovative idea, especially painting the discs to match the background of your playing surface. One possible drawback it that it might get confusing if you have several spaceships close together, moving in different directions, with overlapping vectors. Still, it looks better and is more intuitive than any other system I know of.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys. My newest set of rules is "beer-&-pretzels" simple, so I don't plan on worrying about momentum conservation; if a ship spends no energy on movement, it will simply sit. Since all ships move one-by-one, the only time a line of vector discs will be on the table is when a ship is actually executing a move. This should limit both confusion and also the number of discs required.
ReplyDelete