06 December 2021

Spaghetti Spaceships: 5 Dec 21 Edition

48mm long; all pasta

 The Christmas slowdown is finally upon my work and school and I'm greedily anticipating two whole weeks of hobby opportunities ahead.  I figured I'd kick off the happiest time of the year by gluing some clumps of pasta together.

I'm roughly 1/3 of the way through transferring my latest (and hopefully finally satisfactory) solo spaceship miniature game from my notebook to the computer.

Once that's done I plan to get in a few more playtest games:  what better excuse to make some new ships!

I had no real design in mind with this one but I did want to try to use only pasta on the build.  The only components consist of pasta and CA glue for the ship, as well as staples and a cotton swab stem for the flight rod interface and flight rod respectively.




A coat of clear matte acted as the foundational layer, followed by white primer decanted into my airbrush and tinted pink with a few drops of Liquitex red acrylic ink.

    


Pencil and gel ink pen markings simulated distinctive panels followed by green acrylic ink in the crevices for shadows.  I also used a white gel pen to edge highlight (not shown in the picture below).


The logic with the pink foundation and pre-shading was to build up with multiple thin layers of transparent red ink to bring the ship up to a fire-engine red with the details still showing.

Generally the technique worked but I used only one layer since I put way too much ink in the airbrush with not enough water/floor polish to thin it.

Another thin coat of clear matte spray finished off the miniature, which I think meets tabletop quality.  It probably could've used more edge highlighting with a brush but I like it.


      




















4 comments:

  1. Glad to see your shipyard is still producing! Would you be interested in doing a commission for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DS!

      Let's try to link up somehow and we can talk about the details of what a commission would look like.

      Delete
  2. Great work as usual! I am curious to know how you did your flight rod interface and flight rod. You said staples and a cotton swab tube. How do you put them together and how does it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris!
      I'll make a quick post here in the next couple of days to explain the cotton swab-staple method. It's really easy but pictures would serve better than words.

      Delete