I've been trying to stay laser-focused on a single gaming project; fortunately (unfortunately?) a combination of work and totally unnecessary, late-in-life grad school leaves me with only enough hobby time for one endeavor. With only a few minutes of hobby time on most days (and none on others), it's taken me over a month to paint six figures to table-top standard. I finally have my two super-teams ready to duke it out however and I'm pleased with the results.
Rolling up the first scenario of the campaign I see it'll be "The Weapon" with Dangerous Ground in the form of sinkholes as the additional detail. I'm crossing my fingers that I can play this next weekend; it's still not ready because I need to build the terrain. More likely I'll be gluing foliage to trees and cutting out hills. No worries though as that will pay forward to future games in a variety of genres.
I sourced all figures, by design, from other ranges to support a wider range of future potential games. I therefore painted all the miniatures in genre-appropriate colors (as in their originally intended games). Half of the eight team members come from Black Tree Design's wonderful Doctor Who range, and I painted these as close as possible to the characters' depictions in the original Doctor Who episodes.
Now to introduce the individual characters. I'll split this up into multiple posts since I'm busy, with this first one highlighting my cosmic megalomaniac The Phantom Sun, and his team, the Phantom Satellites.
BIO: Once the greatest scientist of the advanced society populating the primeval supercontinent we now call Gondwana, Alerceron was also known for his arrogance and rashness. When the alien Kluvergiz threatened to subjugate the planet, Alerceron proposed capturing and releasing a nano-black hole amongst the invaders' fleet, a plan dashed by the ruling council as reckless. Taking matters into his own hands, Alerceron destroyed the Kluvergiz fleet but at a terrible cost; his summoned black hole growing uncontrollably, threatening the entire ancient Earth. Determined that he alone could save the planet, Alerceron succeeded in reversing the hole's growth, seemingly consumed in the attempt. Instead of destroying the scientist the weird cosmic energies instead flung him far into the future, to our present, altering him beyond all recognition. The man of flesh and blood once known as Alerceron became a being of pure energy, held together only by his force of will. Wielding vast cosmic powers, the being now calling himself the Phantom Sun retains only the megalomanic genius and cruelty of his former self.
SUPER MISSION FORCE PROFILE:
-Archetype: Powerhouse (Mastermind and Controller)
-Basic Stats
--Move: 6"
--Body Damage Boxes: 6
--Psyche Damage Boxes: 7
-Major Powers: Power Pool (Metamorph[Elasticity], Power Blasts 10" +1D[2], Force-field, Flight, Barrier), Enhance-Major
-Minor Powers: Servitor, Gadgets, Iron Will
-Background: Dimensional, Science
Now to introduce the individual characters. I'll split this up into multiple posts since I'm busy, with this first one highlighting my cosmic megalomaniac The Phantom Sun, and his team, the Phantom Satellites.
>>> The Phantom Satellites <<<
The Phantom Sun
BIO: Once the greatest scientist of the advanced society populating the primeval supercontinent we now call Gondwana, Alerceron was also known for his arrogance and rashness. When the alien Kluvergiz threatened to subjugate the planet, Alerceron proposed capturing and releasing a nano-black hole amongst the invaders' fleet, a plan dashed by the ruling council as reckless. Taking matters into his own hands, Alerceron destroyed the Kluvergiz fleet but at a terrible cost; his summoned black hole growing uncontrollably, threatening the entire ancient Earth. Determined that he alone could save the planet, Alerceron succeeded in reversing the hole's growth, seemingly consumed in the attempt. Instead of destroying the scientist the weird cosmic energies instead flung him far into the future, to our present, altering him beyond all recognition. The man of flesh and blood once known as Alerceron became a being of pure energy, held together only by his force of will. Wielding vast cosmic powers, the being now calling himself the Phantom Sun retains only the megalomanic genius and cruelty of his former self.
SUPER MISSION FORCE PROFILE:
-Archetype: Powerhouse (Mastermind and Controller)
-Basic Stats
--Move: 6"
--Body Damage Boxes: 6
--Psyche Damage Boxes: 7
-Major Powers: Power Pool (Metamorph[Elasticity], Power Blasts 10" +1D[2], Force-field, Flight, Barrier), Enhance-Major
-Minor Powers: Servitor, Gadgets, Iron Will
-Background: Dimensional, Science
MINIATURE: Omega from Black Tree Design's Doctor Who range. The miniature started off as a joy to paint, looking gorgeous after the base coats of Vallejo game colors. Then I decided to do a wash of red Liquitex acrylic ink over the entire figure. Big mistake. I barely watered the ink down and it gave a horrible stained effect. I then tried to cover that with a black ink wash on the helmet, leading to even more staining. He's good enough for gaming but I'll eventually strip the paint and start over.
NOTES: My Dr. Doom analog, The Phantom Sun would be a tough opponent on his own but has many powers that allow him to instead stay in the background and influence his team's success. I picture his Metamorph Elasticity power not as a stretchy Mister Fantastic ability but more of a reflection of his total control over his energy body, allowing him to split into multiple parts to attack at a distance, avoid hits, and generally hinder opponents.
BIO: The Phantom Sun's genius extends beyond high-energy physics into many realms, including genetic engineering, as evidenced by his creation the Mindhound.
SUPER MISSION FORCE PROFILE:
-Archetype: N/A (Servitor of the Phantom Sun)
-Basic Stats
--Move: 6"
--Body Damage Boxes: 4
--Psyche Damage Boxes: 4
-Minor Powers: Parasite
-Background: N/A
MINIATURE: Intellect Devourer from the old Grenadier Miniatures "Dwellers Below" AD&D boxed set. Very fun model to paint; the base colors went on via airbrush in about two minutes followed up by some targeted ink applications in all those great nooks and crannies.
NOTES: Taking a Powerhouse archetype for this team limited me to fewer figures... initially. The Phantom Sun's Servitor/Sidekick minor power allows another lower-power figure and this little guy is perfect. Originally I planned to paint up another Doctor Who figure but then found this old box of Grenadier minis in my closet. I'd forgot I'd purchased them! Mindhound had the Telekinesis power at first and after playtesting I may go back to that; the Parasite power just seemed so right though.
NOTES: My Dr. Doom analog, The Phantom Sun would be a tough opponent on his own but has many powers that allow him to instead stay in the background and influence his team's success. I picture his Metamorph Elasticity power not as a stretchy Mister Fantastic ability but more of a reflection of his total control over his energy body, allowing him to split into multiple parts to attack at a distance, avoid hits, and generally hinder opponents.
The Mindhound
BIO: The Phantom Sun's genius extends beyond high-energy physics into many realms, including genetic engineering, as evidenced by his creation the Mindhound.
SUPER MISSION FORCE PROFILE:
-Archetype: N/A (Servitor of the Phantom Sun)
-Basic Stats
--Move: 6"
--Body Damage Boxes: 4
--Psyche Damage Boxes: 4
-Minor Powers: Parasite
-Background: N/A
MINIATURE: Intellect Devourer from the old Grenadier Miniatures "Dwellers Below" AD&D boxed set. Very fun model to paint; the base colors went on via airbrush in about two minutes followed up by some targeted ink applications in all those great nooks and crannies.
NOTES: Taking a Powerhouse archetype for this team limited me to fewer figures... initially. The Phantom Sun's Servitor/Sidekick minor power allows another lower-power figure and this little guy is perfect. Originally I planned to paint up another Doctor Who figure but then found this old box of Grenadier minis in my closet. I'd forgot I'd purchased them! Mindhound had the Telekinesis power at first and after playtesting I may go back to that; the Parasite power just seemed so right though.
...Next up: the remaining two members of the Phantom Satellites: the alien psionic terror known as Ssluzuurom the Despoiler and The Upgrade, an android bent on conquest.



No comments:
Post a Comment