![]() |
| 3x2 inch card for newest solo space game |
Last year I released the final version of Greater Space Battles, my tabletop starship miniatures wargame designed for solo play. While I’m very proud of the production as well as the mechanics, I’ve found the game just lacks something. It’s smooth, it works, it just seems a little too beer-and-pretzels.
Accordingly, I’m playtesting another set of solo spaceship rules, this one melding ideas from all of my previous solo space battle rule iterations.
I think the reason Greater Space Battles feels lacking to me is that I was raised on Star Fleet Battles: if a space game isn’t tedious, it must not be right. All joking aside, there is something about “energy allocation” that just captures the feel of being on the bridge of a complex interstellar warship.
My newest iteration therefore returns to an energy allocation grid concept, similar to the one I used in Greater Space Battles Version 2.0. I’ve changed this newest grid from a 5x6 to a 6x5 matrix (rows and columns respectively) to facilitate some new, and I feel better, rules.
The new ruleset also reflects a huge philosophical shift for me, as I’ve abandoned widespread on-table token use and returned to paper record-keeping. My rules have always been token heavy, as I’ve found this vastly speeds up play. Pre-game construction and post-game storage of these tokens (often dozens, if not nearly a hundred) represents the prime drawback to this philosophy, and a major hurdle to set-up and hence play. It doesn’t matter if the rules mechanics support fast play if onerous set-up means the game will never start.
In an attempt to keep the paper record-keeping minimal and preserve some production values, I designed some quick 3 inch by 2 inch ship cards, featuring the system grid on one side and a ship diagram opposite, used for recording offensive and defensive energy use. Clear packing tape laminates the cards allowing temporary grease pencil records.
| Raiders at bottom, defenders at top |
| Defenders |
| Raiders |
| Energy allocation example |
| Energy allocation roll: need a "6". Oh no! |
Obviously both ships would ideally use energy path 6, as it features the most “M” Movement actions. Unfortunately, the dice offered the worst possible choices instead, limiting the available options to the weapons-heavy line 1, or the defensive-based lines 2 or 5.
| Auxiliary thrust roll: need 4+... uh oh. |
I’m four turns into my playtest and so far loving the new rules. I’m making tweaks turn-by-turn but I think it’s settling into the final shape.
Final thoughts: I originally envisioned these ship cards as generic, with an empty space to draw the energy grid in with semi-permanent alcohol pen. The technique worked for this first playtest but proved extremely time-consuming to roll up and fill in the card by hand.
I’ve since made a crude but effective “shipbuilder” file for MS Excel, which randomly generates ship cards that are ready to print. I’ll just print out (and laminate) new cards on junk mail or other pieces of scrap paper.
![]() |
| Automated Shipbuilder Input (bottom) and Output (top) |



Interesting! Let me know if you want help with playtesting.
ReplyDeleteI'll definitely do that DS! It's the least I could do, since your blog inspired me to start blogging in the first place.
DeleteI still need to transfer my notes into a proper document...
Hello
ReplyDeleteThis is really taking up good shape. I really like the action grid and a roster makes sense. I am willing to playtest as well if you need it, although it will only be a few ships a side - all my brain can handle!
Thanks for the offer Shaun! I'm feverishly working on transferring my notes to a file I can share.
DeleteI finished this first battle and after that experience I actually only recommend a few ships per side. This game runs slow: lots of dice rolling. Not ideal but I still prefer it to my previous rulesets.