![]() |
| ~ 50mm long |
I'm calling this one the Sangreal class light cruiser in honor of my newest gaming interest, the Quest for the Grail CCG published by Stone Ring Games back in 1995. I managed to pick up a sealed box of starters and a sealed box of boosters on eBay and the cards should be here this week.
Like most games I've seen profiled on BGG, this one has its defenders and detractors. Fans of the game enjoy the art and also, like me, love the Arthurian myths. Others however state the game is boring and an unnecessary contribution to the CCG glut of the mid 90's. I've always disliked Magic: the Gathering so back then I considered any alternative offered a welcome addition to the CCG scene, and still do. I'm particularly interested in this game however because descriptions I've read summarize it as a questing type game. Apparently it's a CCG where all players simultaneously compete against the game itself, similar to Mythos and X-Files, versus fighting games like Magic where the players attack each other directly. I have found CCGs using this questing mechanic allow excellent solitaire variants with a minimum of rules changes. I don't yet have the rulebook in hand, but with its Quest deck I think Quest for the Grail has potential as a solitaire CCG.
Speaking of the artwork, the game designers gave the cards a very classy feel, as well as saved themselves licensing fees, by using old art in the public domain. Here's an example of a piece of art, by Arthur Rackham, featured in the game.
![]() |
| Public Domain image by Arthur Rackham |




I love the new ship! The lines are so well defined.
ReplyDeleteThanks! The technique makes ships that respond very well to ink washes.
Delete