15 October 2012

Painting Scratchbuild Spaceships: WIP

Here are a couple of WIP shots of the paints schemes for three ships I scratchbuilt, including two featured last post.

I still need to paint on small details like insignia and markings, and then drybrush so they're not done.  I'm very excited about this new scratchbuild technique however and thought I'd share some pictures demonstrating the ink wash bringing out the panel details.

Blocky design; 57mm long

Love this design; 52mm long

Imperfect resin cure; big stripe to go on radiator; 54mm long

3 comments:

  1. They came out great! I am very impressed! Are these one-off ships or will they be used as masters to make duplicates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Chris. I like the fact that each ship is unique so I intend to just keep them as one-off designs. The technique is so stupid easy that if one is willing to accept the lack of standardization, one could have a fleet in just a few hours. Still, I don't see why the ships couldn't be duplicated with an RTV mold, but I'd be worried about detail degredation since the copies would essentially be casts of casts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that. I always think in terms of warships usually having more than one in a particular class. Of course many warships of the pre-dreadnought era consisted of a class of one. On the other hand, merchant ships are often more-or-less unique. However, your ships look too "cool" to be merchant ships.

    ReplyDelete