I got back from my business trip finally and returned to making miniature spaceships. I made a resin cast of a new design right before I left but didn't get a chance to paint it before I departed, so I spent the weekend painting this one.
Well another rose-colored spaceship... not what I intended. I wanted a fire engine red ship, but since I use ink washes heavily I add a lot of white to my base color to keep it light. On the last two ship designs it worked fine, but on this one I think I would have been better served using straight red without toning it down. The black ink would certainly be dark enough to pick out the detail, especially with drybrushing. Oh well, I have the mold and enough resin to make a hundred or so casts so I'll make another copy and try a different paint scheme.
I like this ship design but not the photos. I have too much sunlight coming in and washing out the color. Also, all the tiny details combined with the almost flesh color of the ship gives the vessel an organic look, which is exactly opposite of what I was after. Like I said, I'll cast another and do it up in proper mechanical grey.
edit- Here's a few more pics. I tried less light and while this makes the photos a bit dark, they show the effects of the ink and drybrushing better.

If you're not happy with the paint scheme, just spray over it and start over a new paint job. Or strip it by soaking it into pinesol for a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteA poor paint job is no reason to retire a warship (its batteries still work!)
So, is the pink the colour of the resin you used? I think it looks great as is, but if you want it red, why not spray it red? then use black washes. or if you don't have an air brush, and paint it red, its a very interesting ship design, I like it.
ReplyDeleteDan,
ReplyDeleteThe color of the cured resin is a very light tan, almost a white. I prime white as well. I slop the washes on my miniatures when I paint, which I find darkens the whole color scheme significantly. So in this case I added lots of white to the base red in order to offset this darkening. My base therefore became pink.