27 January 2012

New Cover Art (sort of...)

I purchased the right to use some artwork by Mr. Colin Hay, one of the artists featured in the Terran Trade Authority books, to use as cover art for one free rules set.  Originally I used the art for my game War In Space, but I am no longer developing those rules.  Many of the concepts in that rule set seemed so cool on paper: multiple dice types that shift based on damage, three dice that could be assigned to different actions and thus model energy allocation, non-linear range bands, etc.  Playtest revealed however that many of those "cool" rules were clunky.  Not terrible mind you, just slow.  The game also required paper record-keeping, something I try to avoid.

My simpler homebrew Greater Space Battles has given me nothing but fun times however.  Since this is the game I play and want to offer for others' enjoyment, I'm transferring the artwork.  My downloads page features the new cover.  The Greater Space Battles rules set is also updated on the downloads page, as I have incorporated the errata I posted recently into the main body of the game.

And to celebrate my 100th post, I made a new spaceship miniature.  I'm going to experiment with this one and make one-sided molds of the top and bottom hulls of the ship (shown here) separately, using Alumilite HS3 10:1 RTV silicone.
Incandescent bulb: great for heat, bad for photos
 

3 comments:

  1. I really like how unique your ships look.

    I wonder how would they look as a fleet, all painted. Seems promissing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Mat! I'm a slow painter. A new idea for a ship design always pops in my head before I get the paint on the previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, those designs of yours wouldn't take much to look nice. Just prime them with a dark color and then dry brush over it with a light color.

    Trust me, they'll look sweet.

    ReplyDelete