28 July 2011

(Relatively) Easy Thatched Roof Huts

I needed some thatched roof huts so I can playtest my homebrew modern squad-level game, Atomic Africa, so I made some.

First, I made the walls of the huts using a toilet paper roll.  I cut it into thirds and slathered each with a layer of Durham's water-putty, then set them aside.


 Next, using simple geometry and scrap food packaging I made a polystyrene cone.  I filled this cone with water-putty and let it set as well.

Polystyrene cone and a block of Sculpey polymer clay
I removed the hardened water-putty cone from the polystyrene sleeve, and then glued a bunch of angel hair pasta to it, using CA glue.  When the pasta-covered putty cone was dry, I set it aside and got a block of Sculpey polymer clay.  I took the original polystyrene cone and pressed it into the clay, leaving a conical depression.  I then took an old paint brush and made a bunch of thatch-like impressions in the clay.  I grabbed the angel hair pasta cone and gently but firmly pressed it into the clay.  I repeated this step, rotating the block of clay each time I pressed down.

Water-putty cone with pasta glued to it, used to make impressions

When I was satisfied with the press-mold, I poured water-putty into the depression.  After 5 minutes I set one of the hut main bodies upside down into the setting putty.

Wet water-putty LOVES to stick to dry water-putty

After 100 minutes I peeled the polymer clay away from the hut and, using my hobby knife, cut notches in the hut's circumference to ensure an irregular appearance.

Cost pennies to make

I like the roof enough to make a rough one-sided mold using silicone caulk.  I may explore alternate methods of making these roofs however.  For example, it took a little time and a lot of CA glue to secure the pasta to the water-putty cone.  Can I just skip that step, throwing some pasta at random into the cone depression?  Should I instead cut the bristles off the old brush and press those into the cone.  Can I skip all these steps and just texture the clay with a stiff bristled brush?  I'll figure it out and let you know.

Hut with Rebel Minis' Modern African militia (15mm)... next time I'll make the walls shorter

4 comments:

  1. Not bad...and a lot less messy than my method.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul! Impressive stuff on your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off your many uses for pasta. I have heard of using silicon caulk for making molds but have never given it a go. Have you tried it? If so, how well does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris! Silicone caulk works great. It doesn't give as sharp of details as dediacted mold-making silicone, but still very good. If you're willing to accept some air bubbles, it's great and cheap. I use it for terrain features, but not for miniature sculpts.

    ReplyDelete