23 May 2011

Ringed Gas Giant

A few weeks ago I promised to make a ringed planet for table-top space games.  I mixed up the putty as I said I would, but then proceeded to really screw up the paint job... so I decided to start over and in the meantime got distracted with mold making, rules writing and non-gaming life.  This weekend I finally finished the ringed planet project.

I started (again) by making a hemisphere out of Durham's water-putty, like I do with all my planets.  I then carved two slots in either side of the half-globe in order to later insert the ring.

Slots for the ring


I cut irregular strips of paper and taped them onto the planet and sprayed the whole thing black with cheap Walmart primer.  After it dried I removed the strips and then sprayed the planet with more cheap Walmart paint, this time red.  The black showed through this second coat, giving the planet a banded appearance.  

Paper masking attached
Creating the banded effect

Someone brought a huge store bought cookie plate to a recent work BBQ and I saved the clear plastic lid from the garbage.  I cut the lid up into the shape pictured below.  Not pictured is the plastic window screen stapled to the central "leg" of the ring.  The ring is made of PETE plastic which adheres to nothing, so the stapled window screen allowed me to secure it to the main planet body with putty.



I used a lot of putty to secure the ring and then fill in the slots I had cut earlier in the hemisphere.  That was the hardest part of the whole operation.  Finally, I used good old cheapo Walmart acrylic paints (sparingly) to paint little cloud wisps on the planet.  I uses yellow acrylic to paint the ring.

Spaceships in orbit fire at each other
Another angle

Close-up
Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. this is a great idea but instead of just painting the rings I would put a bead of some kind of sticky glue around the edge that turns clear after it dries. and dip it in rock salt or cheep kitty liter depending on what type of rings I want. for example of the rings are of ice then rock salt maybe after I put the salt in a bag and drip blue food color in and shake so it looks more like ice. if rocks then maybe with brown color, depending of what color the litter already is. hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions.

      The flash from my camera makes the plastic of the ring very obvious in these pictures. In real life however, one can't even see the plastic from halfway across the room, only the painted rings. I wish I could capture on film how it looks in person; it's surprisingly effective.

      Delete
  2. Try using igsisting light next time. It might require a longer exposure but it just might work. Any how it never hurts to try. You might also try experenenting with lights other than a flash. BTW this is one of my favorite blogs. Laters

    ReplyDelete