Following up from the previous post, I'm exploring a hex-based version of my free spaceship miniatures rules. The alternate rules dispense with the measuring stick required in the no-hex version. Simply count hexes from shooter to target and cross reference the table below to determine the range effect. Use the range effect to resolve weapons fire per the combat rules in the ruleset.
Note, ships can fire at targets farther than 19 hexes away, I just thought the chances of such engagements were too remote to bother with making a row for each range. The null set symbol on the chart below indicates an impossible shot; I've included all the ranges where shooting at a certain size becomes an impossibility. The pattern for intermediate ranges not depicted should be easy to spot. For Signature 1 targets (the big boys), simply add 1 to the Range Effect for each hex past the last interval depicted; for example shooting at a Signature 1 ship at 22 hexes is Range Effect 8 (three more than that at 19). The other Range Effects are simple multiples, depending on the target Signature.
That's it. No real changes. I do hate having to constantly reference charts however. So I'm planning to make a huge version of this table spread out across four pages of 11"x17" paper, which I will paste together and mount on the wall as a 22"x34" reference chart. Then I'll just have to look across my small hobby-room to resolve fires. I'll drop a copy on my downloads page when I make it.
Happy spaceship gaming!

Heavily edited from the original post... I wanted a more usable chart and I also had screwed my math up.
ReplyDelete