A year ago I went to the local fabric store and made a great find. The clearance bin held all sorts of upholstery vinyl for cheap. I got 5 yards of black vinyl for $3.00/yard (US). The surface takes acrylic paint wonderfully, yet dirt wipes clean off it. It also has a sort of rubberized backing that makes it nice and heavy, very durable.
I loaded some cheap Walmart white acrylic paint on an old toothbrush and pulled the bristles back, flicking paint all over the mat and creating a convincing star field. I hand painted planets and stars with the results shown below, and for $7.50 I had an awesome space mat.
| Space Mat |
I noticed the bottoms of Dixie cups are 49mm across, and since I designed my game for 5cm increments this is near-perfect. So I grabbed a bunch of cups and filled the little recess in the bottom with water-putty.
| My poor girlfriend puts up with this weirdness |
After 20 or so hours of setting, I squeezed the cups gently and pulled out 19 discs with perfectly smooth bottoms and identical diameters: essential if I wanted to use circle packing to generate a hex pattern.
| Use this technique for round bases of any type |
| Cheap but tedious |
And for no reason other than I love this design, here's an old unpainted ship I built back in May. My first set of pictures sucked. Today however, I had some good sunlight for photos and wanted to show what this baby truly looks like in some natural light. I think I'll experiment with using this gray primer as the "base" coat and just paint little highlights like insignia and portholes on the ship.

Your mat is cheaper on a square-inch basis, but in addition to the cost to your back, you also have to factor in the amount of time it's taking to produce your hex background :)
ReplyDeleteStill, if you're like me, spending time making gaming accessories is a part of the hobby, not an opportunity cost.
In other words, it's worth it! :)
Quite right DS. Making my own stuff is very satisfying, but at this rate I'll be playing my first game on this mat around the New Years. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI like your technique, but I have two questions:
ReplyDelete1. Instead of dabbing the spaces with chopsticks, why not use a can of spray paint? That might give your back a break!
2. How do you manage to keep the discs even so that the spaces between each of the three caps form an equilateral triangle? I am setting here at my desk with a pile of soda pop caps and its hard for me to keep them in the right positions to that they achieve the the proper space between them.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteYep, I had the same thought and tried a little test spray with some spraypaint on the mat. It reacts in a strange way with the vinyl and is too glossy and a little tacky compared to acrylic paint. The acrylic doesn't require any extra ventilation either.
I started out with soda-caps myself, then moved on to poker chips. The key is the discs must either be connected or simply have a good deal of mass. The discs are packed together as tight as possible and you need a lot of discs to give the whole pattern enough mass so it doesn't move. When you have enough mass, they will just stay in place. I've taken the method one step further and used putty to connect four discs together (in a line) with an old wooden chopstick. I made four of these little patterns, out of 16 total discs. The most time consuming part of this whole method was repositioning discs... the chopstick method has sped things up considerably. 1/3 to 1/2 done and I last worked on it Sunday.