After three play-test games of INWOSOLO, my solitaire version of INWO, I realize I don't like the mechanic for playing of Rival Plot cards. I constantly forgot to reveal the Rival Plot at the appropriate time, probably because the whole "play a Rival Plot whenever you make any action" thing is just too vague.
Here's my proposed fix, which I will play-test and report on. Rival Plot is now tied to the Intrigue Score. The new rule regarding Rival Plots: at the beginning of each phase of the Player's Turn (only) before doing anything else, roll one die. If the die score is less than or equal to the Intrigue Score, play the top card off the Rival Plot deck. The card represents a Plot in the hand of one of your Rivals, a Plot that the Rival is planning to power and use against your power structure this turn. The Plot is NOT exposed by this play; it must be exposed by normal means. If the Plot can be resolved immediately, resolve it. If not, keep it on the table just like in the previous INWOSOLO rules post. Again, these cards (up to seven! a turn) represent not only the Plots in the hands of various Rivals, but their intentions to use them this turn against you. Since the play of these cards is liked to the Intrigue Score, as the game progresses and all your Rivals have more Groups (and action tokens) to protect themselves, they also have more actions to power plots against their opponents, including you. The rule mechanic essentially gives you a bit of prescience, and adds quite a lot of die rolls to the game, but I feel it's the best simulation of a multi-player match without having to resort to some overly complex artificial intelligence decision matrix or engine.
No comments:
Post a Comment