Always looking for the cheapest, easiest, fastest ways to make convincing spaceships, last winter I experimented with a new technique, where I start with a piece of cereal packet. The thin cardboard is cut to provide a symmetrical outline and solid foundation on which to glue various pasta shapes to bulk out the hulls. Tiny (1-3mm long) regular shapes, also made from cereal packet, provided the final details.
I really liked how the sample ships turned out but I promptly forgot about them as I shifted on to other hobbies.
Cleaning up the hobby room and throwing things away, I came across these cereal packet spaceships and was about to pitch them in the garbage. I'm supposed to be tidying and decluttering but I couldn't help thinking "why not just give them a couple of coats of spray paint, just to see".
I grabbed green because it was the closest thing to hand down in the basement. The color turned out looking good and the paint pulls all the disparate components together into convincing (to my overactive imagination) illusions of massive spacecraft.Unfortunately I didn't get a "before" pic of the smaller ship, the design of which I prefer of the two.
Then they'll still probably go in the trash.
Welcome back! I do like them. And they are not even to be used for your Starship rules?
ReplyDeleteThanks Shaun. Yeah, they’re starting to grow on me but we’re planning a big move so I’m having to really thin the collection.
ReplyDeleteThey take up so little space! But pasta is cheap and avaiable everywhere so I guess it will be easy to make more when you get the urge to do so :-) And good luck on the move.
DeleteThank you for the well wishes. It's a big life change and it'll probably be a while before I have a gaming space again, but paradoxically this move will also give me more free time for hobbies.
Delete