08 November 2019

Giant Monster (Two-Headed Dino) WIP Continued...

The sculpting is finished on my first figure for use with Mighty Monsters.  I still need to paint it up but I'm pretty happy with it.

The creature is obviously two-headed and also has two bony, spiked, sail-like structures (not wings).  The right sail is white because I was experimenting with Milliput Superfine.  The Milliput is good for some applications but I find it too sticky for straight up sculpting.  I much prefer the polymer clay.

Polymer clay oven in operation
The obvious advantage of polymer clay over epoxies like Milliput or Kneadatite, besides the manageability aspect, is the indefinite working time.  Of course, this requires an additional baking step but the solution is a simple oven.

I've found the typically recommended toaster oven results in burned sculptures, as the heating elements lie too close to the polymer clay piece.  Luckily I found this great oven design on the internet years ago.  Based around a simple hot plate and aluminum baking pans, it cost hardly anything and works beautifully, getting up to 500 degrees F no problem (although I only bake my figures at ~250).  

Just big enough for these monster figures

The creature swelled in size from the initial armature I showed last post.  Still, I'm quite happy with the creature.  Sure, it's rough and crude but I think that emulates the rubber suits of 1950s-70s Japanese monster movies.




No comments:

Post a Comment