11 November 2015

Spaghetti Spaceships (Ezjobaal Class Strike Cruiser)

I hope to continue playtesting the complete overhaul of my solo tabletop space miniatures game Greater Space Battles.  If the games prove fun, I plan to write up all the changed rules over the holidays.

In anticipation of this playtesting, I've made some more scratch builds using the "assembly-line" method highlighted in a previous post.  The construction features pasta and CA glue as the primary building material with plastic bits added.  Total work time was maybe 3 hours with some Netflix distraction.

I tried a new technique that I am very pleased with…spray paint.  Of course, I've always used gray spray primer but then proceeded to brush-paint with acrylic craft paints.  Painting by brush always left my spaceship miniatures looking terrible.  The uniformity of the spray paint really appeals to me, even though I will dry-brush these to highlight the details.  If it turns out well I'll share those pics too.

Didn't prime the lead ship… it shows

Needs dry-brushing and a painted base

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing a big AAR of a space battle using your updated rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always these are great! I was wondering about the silicon and resin you have used in past post, how is the smell? I'm going to be getting some before the end of the year and because my bedroom is also my workshop. I'm afrade I wont be able to use it till spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again!

    RTV Silicone is not very offensive; I use it in my enclosed workshop all the time.

    Resin however puts off some pretty noxious fumes. I always do resin casting at an open window with a strong fan blowing the fumes away. I also employ extra protection in the form of a filter mask. Not just a mouth cover but an actual mask with filter canisters attached. Resin is nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you. it sounds like I might want to pass on the resin for the time being. maybe I'll try to cast jewelers wax strait away then move to silver after I perfect things. this will be for a ring I sculpted from milliput and greenstuff. I was thinking to make a resin ring but now I'm not so sure. laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played around with jeweler's wax as well… make sure your silicone mold can accept the heat. I got a few bad casts and it appears it was due to heat damage to the mold.

      Delete
    2. Yep. already know about the heat dalema. I want to try making my own wax theres some good tutorials out there just have to get the right stuff together. BTW you ever succede in getting a good mold from the pasta? I imgen it might melt from the moisture. Anyhow laters

      Delete
    3. Yes, I got a satisfactory two-part mold of one of my pasta ships using Alumilite HSIII RTV rubber. Unfortunately my designs feature a lot of tiny extensions so I could not get the resin to fill all the cavities correctly when casting.

      I could troubleshoot but for now I figure why bother. It costs less than pennies to make multiples of each ship by hand and it saves me from having to deal with nasty resin fumes.

      Delete