21 July 2015

Spaghetti Spaceship Assembly-Line

I spent a good deal of time and brainpower trying to replicate individual copies of my spaghetti scratchbuilds using traditional mold and cast methods.  Then I realized I was going about it all wrong.  Why not just create multiple copies simultaneously with meticulous measuring?

I tried it this weekend and am generally pleased with the assembly-line approach.  The ship design itself is just OK.  I like certain aspects about it but I ended up getting lazy and not adding enough detail.  Too many longitudinal lines and not enough lateral ones like the last ship.

Now if I can just figure out how to paint these things.

Pasta and CA glue; sprayed with primer
Raw pasta


Worst paint job ever

8 comments:

  1. I like these new ships keep working on them. Ive been watching your blog for a long time now and you have given me some good ideas. I thought I would pass along some ideas I have that seem to work really well. #1 I made an impression in some modeling clay filled it with superglue then added baking soda. it makes a good solid part to add to my models just clean off the clay with a tooth brush and some soap. #2 adding water color to stucco can create some very effective jet blast by adding this with a toothpick to some rolled up paper you get a nice rocket. #3 rolled up paper, it's simple and you can create any size tube you need with in limits. hope you try these. maybe I'll post some picks of my ships someplace in the future as for now laters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips thanks! I really like the first one; I'll try the first one this weekend.

      Coincidentally, I've been planning on making a few new spaghetti ships.

      Delete
    2. great! you might try using cereal box cardboard, cut them to an proximate shape of what you want, stack it up in layers using white glue then sand it to the finished shape. works great to make bricks. I made Gothic columns with this method brick by brick. though maybe it would be better to make one and cast a mold. right now I'm making a ship using a key from a pc keyboard as foreword armor and part of a pen for the base body.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the laminating method you describe is what a lot of other miniature-makers use but with sheet plastic versus cardboard. I've tried it but it takes far too long for my tastes.

      I tried the superglue/baking soda trick this weekend. It didn't work for me unfortunately. Perhaps it reacted with my modeling clay or perhaps I didn't use enough glue. All I got was a goopy mess. What is the ratio of glue to baking soda? Do you truly fill the impression and then add a little soda, or is it 50/50? What kind of fidelity can you expect from the cast part?

      Delete
    4. well I'm using a cheep washing soda (but I understand it to be the same) and I just sprinkle it on after I add the glue unless the impression is deep then I do it in layers. I don't understand why it's not working for you. what kind of clay are you using?

      Delete
    5. It was some sulfur-free clay that comes in the Alumilite Molding/Casting kit. I probably didn't use enough superglue.

      Delete
    6. I'm using a clay for kids to play with, it picks up all the dust around my work space but no matter because it still works and it's not like I need it for anything else. Any how it's cheeper than green stuff and millyputty which I also use. I took some picks of my ships today but I have too much going on today to post them. Anyhow laters.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a video howto building this ships <3

    ReplyDelete