In addition to the satisfaction of finally finishing something, I learned a lot from this sculpt. I am now applying this experience to my next boxer effort, already in progress. Hopefully I learn from my mistakes and if I'm happy enough with the second fighter I will mold him for future castings.
The first two pictures show the completed figure with shoes and trunks. I elected not to waste time adding hair.
I made the mistake of priming the boxer gray which forced my to use multiple coats of flesh tone. While I was painting the flesh I dropped the fighter, breaking off his arms.
I felt sick, but luckily was able to hold the arms in place with CA glue (pic 3) and then get rid of the cracks with Milliput Super-Fine (pic 4). Unfortunately, the shoulders just don't look the same as they did prior to the break.






very nice work
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that, thanks.
ReplyDeleteNice work indeed, particularly for a first sculpt. For #2 would suggest beefing up his thighs a bit, and working on the stance, so his feet are closer together.
ReplyDeleteI think you can use rubbing alcohol to smooth unbaked sculpty and fimo type clays, but you would want to look into that before going on my advice!
Thanks for the comment and input!
ReplyDeleteYep, for the second sculpt I have actually watched some boxing matches and looked at photographs… he has a proper boxing stance.
You're absolutely correct: alcohol does smooth polymer clay well. You do have to be careful however, as it seems to dry the clay and cause flaking if overused (this is my first human figure sculpt, but I've tried to use Sculpey for spaceships).