20 October 2013

Scratchbuild Spaceships: Super-Chunky Style

Chunky, exaggerated details should be easier to paint

I'm still working slllloooowly on the spaceship I started months ago, as I last talked about here.  It's coming along nicely, but I wanted to explore a new idea.

I made a bunch of various-sized stamps, using Super-Sculpey again, like the one pictured here.

Stamp


If you've read this blog you know how the story goes from here.  If not, here's a quick summary of the technique: mash the stamps into a block of modeling clay, then pour resin in the resulting cavity.  You then have one half of a spaceship.


Heavy shadows to show detail


At first I wasn't in love with the results, but the look is starting to grow on me.  It kind of looks like a spaceship with warts, but then again you can see the details from across the board.

Although it's only half a ship, I'm going to hit it with some primer, ink it, then dry-brush it.  I bet the details will really pop out.




1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I can get some resin.

    ReplyDelete