21 July 2013

85mm Resin Scratchbuild Spaceship

The title of the post says it all.  I used scrap plastic to push a rough shape of a ship into modeling clay, then detailed the impression with polymer clay stamps I made some time ago.

I'm very pleased with how this came out, because  I really needed a ship this size.  You see, I was rebasing all my other resin scratchbuilds and with the whole fleet lined up I realized that nearly every ship was 55mm long, +/- about 5mm.  That kind of uniformity makes it hard to distinguish which are the heavy battleships, which are the medium cruisers, and which vessels are the light corvettes.  I plan on focussing on making small and large ships for a while, since I have a plethora of medium craft.

The pictures below show today's ship fresh from the mold, with only some soap and water clean-up.  I still need to take a knife and sandpaper to the edges, and of course base and paint.  Before the paint however I will use polymer clay and epoxy to sculpt the exhaust nozzle section.  I find that the ships look about 300% better with a nozzle section added.


85mm now, but will grow with nozzles added


No comments:

Post a Comment