14 September 2012

Milliput Scratchbuild Spaceship

I finally went out and bought some Milliput Superfine to use in my first attempt at spaceship scatchbuilding with two part epoxy putty. 

I've dabbled in figure sculpting before using Kneadatite (more famous as "Greenstuff") and ProCreate.  I found both extremely difficult to use.  I tried and liked regular Milliput, especially the fact that it smooths with water; the only problem is the graininess of the cured product.  Milliput Superfine is advertised as having the same water-smoothing properties with none of the graininess, at an increased price of course.  It's worth the extra money.

For machine-like parts I love this stuff.  Just smash the proper amount of putty on a prepared shape (laminated plastic strips work well), smooth with water, then make panel lines.  Easy.

I kept this first design simple and rough on the edges since I was just experimenting with putty properties.  Now that I've got a handle on it, I'll try a few more complex designs and clean them up properly.  You can see where I sculpted the front half, stopped, then started again later with better tools and different techniques.  I prefer the look of the back half of the ship.

45mm long; will cast in resin
  

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it would go great with my Terrans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking really good! Its nice to see different techniques being explored out there.

    ReplyDelete