I'm still using my putty/impression mold method, but this time instead of spaghetti I used laminated styrene sheets as the initial shape. Laminating the plastic together and sanding created a very regular shape very easily. I know this is how 90% of the sculptors out there start their models, and maybe one day I will have the confidence with two-part epoxy to sculpt a vehicle like the professionals do, instead of my method.
This latest vehicle is a big one. The sloping sides make me think "hovertank", but I hate hovertanks. What a cop-out. I know that tactically a hovering tank would have superior mobility, but I think it's really just a convenient excuse to avoid sculpting tracks. An excuse I will probably take full advantage of by the way, because sculpting tracks sucks. I have no shame. I'm going to have to re-do the turret however. The whole domed look is just too dorky.
| Tank turret (left) and hull putty masters |
Next step is to mold and then cast in resin. I'm going back to Alumilite HSIII just because I need to use the stuff up, but that means the mold cure time will be 48 hours. With all the time I invest in trying to build a micro-armor force, I think it's worth it to buy commercially instead of scratchbuilding. GZG's figures are diabolically cheap for insane quality...how can I resist?
No comments:
Post a Comment