11 October 2011

Dune CCG Solitaire Variant

I'm a huge fan of Frank Herbert's Dune universe and was ecstatic back in the 90s when Last Unicorn games released a collectible card game based on the first book (the only one worth reading in the series).  Unfortunately all my gaming friends found the game too complex and they were not wrong.  I feel the game captures the plots-within-plots intrigue of the book, but at the expense of simplicity.  Despite the game's great artwork, unless the players are emotionally invested in the Dune setting, like me, most will find the game too difficult to bother with.  So I ended up buying thousands of cards and never getting to play a single game.

All that being said, if you're a Dune fan this game's cancellation was a tragedy.  As I said it really captured the feel of the book.  I have therefore been working on a solitaire variant for some time.  Dune relies on player interaction much more than other CCGs, so a solo version proved difficult.  My results are on the downloads page.  Unlike my Illuminati: New World Order solo variant, which I've played with at least five times, these rules haven't been playtested.  Maybe I'll do that tonight...  If anyone else gives it a try, please let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment