01 June 2011

First Metal Spaceship Painted

I finally knocked out a decent paint job on my first metal home drop-cast spaceship.  I've never been a great painter and the camera flash seems to bring out every imperfection, but the ship looks pretty good to the naked eye.  It may not win any painting contests, but it definitely adds to the illusion of a spacegoing vessel cruising to a fight with other ships.  I primed the ship with cheap Walmart Gray Primer (less than a dollar US), then painted a base coat which was two parts white, one part black, one part blue, one part yellow.  This gave the ship a dull green military look.  I then added quite a bit of white to the base color on the palette in order to get a lighter shade, and then dry-brushed the exposed areas with that.  I then painted various stripes, shapes, and insignia for details.  Finally, I used a "magic wash" consisting of 4 parts water, 1 part Future floor cleaner, and 1 part Black illustration Ink.

In orbit around a moon
   

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. The wash and the bright color detailing help bring this mini to life.

    ReplyDelete