20 February 2011

Spaghetti-ship Number Two

I pressed out another ship mold last night and filled it with water-putty before bed.  I woke this morning to find it has turned out beautiful.  Still a few air bubbles, but really on a model representing a 400m long spaceship a bubble looks more like another greeblie than an error, unlike on say a 15mm human figure.  I like the model so much, I'm going to experiment with making a mold of this cast using gasket-making silicone from the hardware store.  I will then cast in a lead alloy.  As a note, one thing I did different on this model was I added small strips of window screen to it right after I poured it.  The flexible plastic lattice-like material provides tensile strength.  Of course, the six hour cure time probably didn't hurt either.  Once you have your technique down and an organized workshop, you could crank out a ship mold and pour the water putty in less than an hour (or maybe a half-hour).  You could take 30 minutes before bed every night for a work week and end up with four new ships for Friday gaming (barring inevitable casting errors).  Lots of pics follow, detailing the process for ship #2 from cradle to grave (almost).  The last few pics show the ship next to my scratchbuilt moon and an Amarillo Design Bureau Federation Heavy Cruiser for size comparison.
Spaghetti master with ship 1

polymer clay after spaghetti removed


mold after detailing pressed in

Water-putty cast, cleaned up

ADB Fed CC and Ship 2 near moon

No comments:

Post a Comment